- Healthy Snack is popular and here to stay
- 50% of Indians snack at least once a day and people are looking for healthy snack ideas (Mintel Research Study: Indians consumers –attitude to snacking)
- The 7 healthy recipes are convenient and easy to make. Made with superfood flours, fruits, vegetables, and nuts they are nutritious.
- More than being nutritious they also take into account various dietary restrictions. Whether it is Gluten Free, Low Carb, Vegan, or Sugar-free – these recipes have you covered.
The crackle of a crisp salty potato chip or the snap of a cookie is the first image our minds conjure when we think of a snack. Whatever their form, fried or baked, bar or flatbread, snacks are still popular. Research shows that almost 50 % of Indians snack at least once a day. The pandemic and people having to work from home have further given an impetus to healthy snacking.
Snacking is here to stay because people want food which doesn’t require slaving over a stove. The need for convenient foods and the move from non-rigid meal preferences has ensured we are a country heading to ‘Snackification’ i.e. snacks are replacing full-fledged meals. Relishing deep fried foods or packaged foods are not a problem as long as they are just an occasional indulgence. However, it certainly is not a daily solution to cater to our hunger pangs. Statistics also show people are willing to switch to healthier eating and are looking for healthy snack ideas as well.
Thankfully, there are healthy and convenient recipes as well which are easy and not time consuming to make.
Here are seven recipes which can be whipped up in 15 minutes and what’s great about these recipes are that they are great for people with dietary restrictions. From gluten free to vegan recipes we have you covered.
1. Green Banana Flour Pancakes
Gluten-Free | Vegetarian | Vegan Substitutes** | Low Carb | Grain Free
A source of resistant starch, prebiotic fiber, and potassium makes green banana flour great replacement flour for people with diabetes, heart conditions, digestion issues, gluten intolerance, and for anyone who wants to eat healthily. It is a low-carb food as it is derived from bananas before they ripen and before the sugars in it are fully developed.
These pancakes can be made in less than 15 minutes and are a healthy snack to have with your cuppa tea or even breakfast.
- 50 gm Phalada Pure and Sure Organic Green Banana Flour
- 70 ml Organic Coconut Milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Organic Jaggery
- 1 teaspoon powdered Organic Flax Seed
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of baking soda
- A teaspoon of butter or oil to grease a flat skillet or cast iron pan
- Organic Honey to drizzle over the pancakes
- Fruits of choice to serve with pancakes
*These measurements will have 3 servings.
- In a bowl add the flour, salt, baking soda and jaggery . Mix all the dry ingredients together with a spatula and then add the egg and coconut milk. Let it rest for a minute or so
- In the meanwhile, heat a skillet; grease it with a tsp of butter or oil. Then add a ladle full of batter.
- Cover the skillet for a minute on medium heat or till you see bubbles appearing on the pancake batter. Once you see the batter bubble up, flip it to cook on the reverse side.
- It takes only half a minute for the pancakes to fully cook through. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with honey and fruits.
Replace the egg with ¼ cup mashed banana
Replace the egg with a flax egg. Flax egg = 1 tablespoon of powdered flax seed dissolved in 3 tablespoons of warm water
2. Sweet Potato Muffins
Gluten-Free | Grain-Free | Low Carb | Vegetarian | Vegan Substitutes**
If you want to indulge in a muffin but do not want to make a dozen muffins and also want it to be healthy, then this sweet potato cake is an answer to all your cravings.
Sweet potato flour is a superfood rich in vitamin A and C and at the same time is naturally gluten-free and low on the glycemic index. Making it the best substitute for baking, and thus makes healthy snacks.
- 3 tbsp Phalada Pure and Pure Organic Sweet Potato Flour
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp Organic Cold Pressed Sunflower Oil
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp unsweetened Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips or broken shards of chocolate
- 2 tsp Organic Jaggery
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
*These measurements will have 1-2 servings.
- Grease a mug or use a muffin case. In the greased mug whisk together the cream, oil, egg, and milk. Then with a fork slowly add all the dry ingredients.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Unmold and eat it plain, or top with a chocolate spread or cream.
3. Date Energy Bites
Gluten-free | grain-free | low carb | vegetarian | vegan
Made with dates and nuts, this is perfect for smoothies and energy bar aficionados.
- Blitz the dates with hot water in a mixie or food processor. Then add the almonds, spices.
- Toast on a pan for a few seconds the rolled oats and then add it to the date mixture.
- Pinch lime sized balls from the date mixture and the energy bites are ready to eat.
4. Creamy Red Pepper Dip
Gluten-Free | Vegan | Vegetarian | Low Carb | Keto
Once you try this creamy dip, you won’t be craving hummus anymore. This dip doubles up as marinade and pasta sauce, it is a quick fix solution for a creamy sauce sans the dairy. All you need is red pepper and walnuts! Yes, you heard that right just 2 hero ingredients which are just a vegetable and nut.
- 1 red pepper
- 55 gm walnuts
- 2 flakes of garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- A tablespoon of Organic Olive Oil to drizzle over
- Slice the red pepper. Then heat on a pan for 1 minute or till it gets a slight char
- In the meanwhile peel the garlic and slightly chop the walnuts
- In a dry mixie or food processer blitz all the ingredients except for the olive oil.
- The mixture results in a creamy dip without any dairy in it. Before serving drizzle the olive oil and enjoy it with carrots or chips, sauce for sandwiches or burgers, on vegetable or meat as a marinade or add it to your pasta.
5. Easy Burger Bun
Gluten-Free | Grain-Free | Vegetarian | Low Carb | Keto
If you are craving a burger but can’t whip it from scratch or just want to make a healthy burger, these grain-free 10-minute burger buns are perfect.
- 2 tablespoon Phalada Organic Sweet Potato Flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp of sesame seeds: optional
*These measurements will have 1 serving.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Top the batter with sesame seeds Heat on high for 90 seconds.
- Unmold the bun, slice it halfway through, and stuff with a filling of your choice.
- If you do not have a microwave it can be baked in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes
- If you do not have either, you can cook it like a flatbread on a skillet and eat it like a roti or wrap.
6. Super Food Dosa
Gluten-Free | Grain-Free | Vegan | Low Carb | Keto
A crispy Dosa is scrumptious but if you do not have the batter ready, it will take a minimum of 12 hours to make the batter from scratch. This easy-to-make dosa doesn’t require fermenting and can also be made from scratch. It is a healthy and convenient alternative for people with various health issues.
- Mix together all the ingredients.
- Let it rest for a minute or two
- Heat a dosa Tawa and drop a ladle full of batter onto the hot Tawa.
- Grease the sides of the batter with ghee or oil.
- Flip it when it is cooked on 1 side
- In 1.5 minutes your superfood dosa is ready
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter
- Serve with chutney, sambhar, or podi masala.
7. Banana Cashew Cookies
Gluten-Free | Grain-Free | Vegan
This recipe is a cross between banana bread and a cashew cookie. Ripe bananas are the only sweet element in these chewy cookies. These cookies are a healthy alternative to refined flour and sugar cookies.
- 2 tablespoons of Phalada Pure and Sure Organic Sweet Potato Flour
- 4 tablespoon of powdered cashew
- 2 medium-sized ripe bananas
- Add in – Chocolate chip – 1 tsp (optional)
- In a dry mixie powder 2 tablespoon cashews.
- Once the cashews are powdered add 4 of them to a bowl, add mashed bananas and sweet potato flour.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Mold them into 1.5 inch flat discs, like a cookie
- Place on a microwave size plate for 120 seconds
- You can also bake them in a 180 degree Celsius preheated oven for 10 minutes
- If you do not have either, spread the dough on a non-stick or cast-iron skillet, and on medium heat cook it, till it becomes hard.